Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Staying Sane Amid the Frenzy


It’s starting… The holiday frenzy is about to engulf us. I’m not ready. I’m never ready.

Don’t get me wrong.  I love the holidays! I revel in the costumes and fun gew-gaws of Halloween, relish the family get-togethers and great food of Thanksgiving, and sink with joy into Christmas decorations and greetings and gift-giving.

I don’t like the pressure of it and I don’t like the extreme commercialization. I hate the whole Black Friday thing.  You won’t find me venturing anywhere near a shopping mall or a big box store on the Friday after Thanksgiving.  And I really hate, hate HATE the incursion of the shopping frenzy into Thanksgiving day!  It cheapens the whole idea of the holiday.

In fact it seems to me to be the antithesis of what Thanksgiving is supposed to be about. Instead of being grateful for all the many blessings we’ve been given, all those retailers opening on Thursday promote greed and hunger for things we don’t have. Yes, they disguise it as buying gifts for others, but come on…

And then there’s Christmas. I have to find appropriate gifts for so many people. There are cards, decorations, food, parties, and a gazillion other details that need to be handled.  There have been years when I got to the day after Christmas and could nothing but draw a huge sigh of relief that is was over.  And that’s so, so wrong!

Rant over. I feel better now that I’ve got off that my chest. And I’ve decided to focus this year on what I can do about it.

Here are a few things I’m vowing to try this holiday season:

1. Cultivate gratitude. Not just on Thanksgiving day but throughout the season. I’ve been blessed in so many ways. I’m not wealthy, at least not in money or worldly possessions, but I have enough to eat, shelter from the weather, clothing to keep me warm, reasonably good health, and a wonderful family. I want to take a few minutes each day to remember that and to be grateful for all the gifts I’ve been given.

2. Keep it in perspective. The holiday season is supposed to be about what’s best in us: joy, peace, sharing, and showing our love for others. We’re not doing that if we’re stressed out because the to-do list is too long and the expenses bigger than our budgets. I’ll be taking another look at my lists and asking myself about each item – Is this necessary? Am I doing this because it gives me or someone else pleasure? Or am I doing it because everyone says you have to or my mother always did it this way?

3. Simplify. Of course, I have to buy gifts for my children and grandchildren. And my spouse. Do other acquaintances need gifts from me? Does everyone I’ve ever met need to get a Christmas card from me? Does every surface in my home need to be thoroughly decorated? Are there things I can outsource? I’m trying to consider everything and decide why I’m doing it. Does it make me happy? Does it help others? Or is it just something I feel obliged to do?

That’s my plan.

Whatever yours is, I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving (if you’re in the U.S.) and a peaceful, loving, and joyous holiday season!

4 comments:

  1. Karen, I so totally agree with your post. I wish the holidays were like they were when we were kids. They centered around family and friends, not how much we could stuff under the tree. Have a wonderful holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen--
    Wonderful advice for a lovely and stress-free holiday season. I, too, long for a simplified holiday. Your post comes at the perfect time. Hope you and your family have a fabulous Thanksgiving and Christmas!
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season too.

      Delete