Saturday, October 14, 2017

Eliminating “Stuff”

My husband and I still occupy the house where we raised our children. It’s rather larger than we need these days but the location is ideal and we renovated it a few years ago to suit our needs as we grow older. The two bedrooms upstairs can be shut off and not heated or cooled when not in use, but they’re handy to have when the kids and grandkids visit.

It’s also far too handy to use those two rooms to store extra things. I hate clutter but I do have pack-rat tendencies, so I need a place to store all that extra stuff, out of sight, but handy should I find a use for the stored items.

I’m getting older and eventually I’ll have to down-size. I’m also aware of feeling burdened by maintaining everything. I hate to think that I’ll be leaving my kids a huge mess of stuff to deal with when I’m gone. It’s time to clean out pretty drastically. I have too much “stuff.” Way too much. Much more than I need, so a lot of things need to go.

I’m trying to start with books. I’ve got a library in those two upstairs room, and the truth is I’ll never read most of them again. Heck, I don’t even read paper books much at all anymore because my eyesight is poor. My Kindle lets me turn any book into a large-print edition, making it much easier to read. So why is it so darn hard to part with all those books, the fruit of some forty years of collecting them?

Then there are all those dishes, glasses, and serving pieces. Many of them belonged to my grandmother, mother, and mother-in-law. I’m hoping to pass them onto my own two daughters and daughter-in-law some day.  But will they even want them? They have a lot of things of their own already.

Clothing is another thing I struggle to cut back on. I have so many things that I’ve worn only a few times. I keep a lot of them mostly because I’m insecure about my fashion sense and I’m sure that as soon as I get rid of something it will turn out to be the perfect thing to wear to some special event.

I’ve tried several tricks to make myself get rid of things. I’ve used that system where I ask myself about how much joy an object gives me. Unfortunately I can find the joy in way too many things. I tried the clothing thing where you turn the hangers around and get rid of anything you haven’t turned around in the season. The only things I didn’t turn around were a couple of shirts I’m sure I’ll need at some time in the future.

A few things have helped. I’ve started a routine of making myself get rid of one piece of clothing for each new one I get so at least I don’t increase the problem. I’m also in the habit of getting rid of one thing a day. Obviously that’s the slow way to eliminate stuff, so I’m still working on how to beat my inner packrat and clear out bunches of stuff.

Another technique I can sometimes make work is to take a class of items – say a shelf of books or a stack of pads and notebooks – and tell myself I have to get rid of at least of half of this batch. Sometimes that works. Sometimes not so much.

I’m open to listening to any and all ideas for eliminating stuff - especially when you’re someone with packrat instincts.

7 comments:

  1. Karen -- I laughed at your "joy" comment. A friend gave me one of the recent "how to declutter" books, and it included that "joy" test. I have your problem -- I still have a joy response to each piece I consider ejecting! Something has a psychological hold on us! I've never had any guilt over how my children will have to sort all of my stuff. They'll cope, and even if they toss it all, I will be in a place of love and not mind a bit. Your "one in, one out" clothing plan is a keeper, for sure. You'll proceed however you are meant to proceed, Karen. I read an article where a grown daughter had to collect her deceased father's belongings from a nursing home. Her father had downsized twice before going into a nursing home. She was shocked, saddened, and very affected that his final belongings fit in only four boxes. She wanted more of her father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I nodded in recognition at each paragraph. You just painted a picture of my life right now. Good job. As for suggestions, I'll be sure to check back and see if anyone has any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, this blog could've been written by me. I have the same problem. Good luck with your de-clutter project and please share if you find a solution!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same issue, Karen - a lifetime of my own belongings plus the belongings of several deceased relatives. I've started downsizing by donating things to places where they will be most appreciated. Neither daughter has any interest in my great-grandmother's wedding gown (from the 1880s!), so I took pictures of it and donated it to a historical house in our town that has a collection of wedding gowns. Happily, they had nothing like it, and I will see it on display next spring when they have their opening show. When the Vintage Toy Roadshow came to town, I sold my Barbies, Francie, and their cases of clothes. If only the rest of my clutter could be disposed of so easily. Best of luck with your dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aargh, Karen! You've hit my sore spot right now! We have moved several times in our married life and each time, the process of "eliminating stuff" gets more complicated. My husband has a method: he takes a box or a drawer or, like you, a shelf and goes through it, one pile is keep and the other is throw.

    I am much more haphazard. I see something that I want to keep and keep it. I see something I don't want to keep and I keep it! On the theory that a storeroom is where you keep stuff until two weeks before you need it, I have a hard time parting with anything I might find useful...someday.

    We are planning to move in the next four months but our biggest move was from a 13-room house to a one bedroom apartment about six years ago. You might think that having down-sized to such an extent once, that we would not not have "acquired stuff" - untrue! Books, craft items, fabric, empty notebooks, photos in envelopes that never quite got into albums...all have accumulated as though they have reproductive systems all their own.

    Thanks for the reminder! I must get rid of this. I must get rid of this. I must. I must!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen--
    You and I must be related! I have all the same tendencies as you :-) Fortunately a couple moves helped me (forced me) to part with a number of things. I donated a lot. And I plan to make another run in November. I'm trying to get on an every 6 months cycle until everything is gone from storage closets. Books seem to be my Achilles heel. It's because I pared down on books so much before that I'm down to a manageable amount. However I keep seeing new books that I want to read. Good luck to you, and all of us!
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same problem and from the sounds of it we're probably the same generation. I think about my "stuff" and the clutter nearly every day and try to come up with a workable plan that's not too painful. Some of your ideas are good, but I'm not sure they're drastic enough. I think I have to imagine I'm taking a voyage and can only take what I love. I think I'll try that tomorrow and see if it works!

    ReplyDelete